POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : First post - animation : Re: First post - animation Server Time
3 Jul 2024 01:34:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First post - animation
From: Tom Austin
Date: 24 May 2006 15:04:11
Message: <4474ae2b$1@news.povray.org>
How Camp wrote:
> "Tom Austin" <taustin> wrote in message news:44746fe4$1@news.povray.org...
>
>> The animation is of a very small area in an underground mine.
>> Look at features in the data to get a sense of scale of the place.
>> The ceiling is 50-70 feet high!
>

> Wow, this is fascinating.  How was the original data collected?
>
> - How

Thanks for the interest....

Using a 3D area laser scanner, separate 'scans' are collected at each
location.

This data is then 'aligned' together using various methods.

Then the aligned data is exported from the scanning software in vrml 3D
files (which closely match POV-Ray mesh2 format).

A custom routine makes the vrml into a mesh2.

This is done for *each* scan.

So in this animation you are looking at (9) separate mesh2 objects - one
for each scan.

If you look closely, small triangles are close to scan locations, and
large triangles are far away from a scan location.  They overlap nicely
as the alignment went fairly well.

At this time the data is not 'merged' into one cohesive dataset.
We've tried this in various ways only to fail each time.

If anyone has a suggestion on how to create one mesh, please let me know.

LAter... Tom